Montgomery Alabama is not known as a culinary destination, but the folks in charge would like to change that. “Montgomery offers a rich culinary scene that continues to grow in quality and variety.
Known for its Southern hospitality and revitalized downtown, the riverfront capital city was the birthplace of the Civil Rights Movement and has established itself as a landmark Deep South destination with much to offer for diners in search of authentic cuisine.
From fine dining at upscale eateries to award-winning coffee shops and craft breweries, Montgomery offers up food and drink experiences to please every palate.
Here are some of the highlights of Montgomery Alabama restaurants.
- Central, with regionally sourced ingredients, a modern, lively dining room and an everchanging menu, Central is perennially rated as the top restaurant in Montgomery. Located Downtown in the heart of Montgomery’s entertainment district, Central is under the direction of Chef Jason McGarry. For more information, visit www.central129coosa.com
- Vintage Year, located in the heart of the historic Old Cloverdale neighborhood, Vintage Year features steaks, seafood and an outstanding wine selection. With its informal but intimate dining room, Vintage Year is the perfect date night spot, but is also an inviting venue for the whole family. For more information, visit www.vymgm.com.
- La Jolla, serving modern Southern cuisine and with a huge wine list, La Jolla is located east of downtown. Relying on local farms and companies to source their ingredients, this classy eatery serves up some of the freshest food around. For more information, visit http://www.lajollamontgomery.com/
- Taste, located in the Hampstead area, Taste offers an inventive menu with craft cocktails and a large selection of beer and wine. This lively restaurant specializes in meats and seafood, offering small plates, and also features a popular Sunday brunch. For more information, visit https://www.tastemgm.com/
- Chris’ Hot Dogs, a 101-year-old Montgomery classic, Chris’ has served everybody from Martin Luther King Jr. to Hank Williams to Elvis Pressley from its location on Dexter Avenue, steps from the Alabama capitol. Featuring its famous hot dogs and chili sauce, Chris’ is a local favorite with a lot of history. For more information, visit www.chrishotdogs.com.
- Martha’s Place, with some of the best soul food around, including Martha’s famous fried chicken, Martha’s Place is the place to go for authentic Southern staples. Fresh baked cakes are also a big hit at this casual Southern eatery with an all-you-can-eat buffet. For more information, visit hwww.marthasplacebuffet.com.
- Derk’s Filet & Vine, one of the most popular lunch spots in town, Derk’s is a classic “Meat ‘n’ Three” restaurant. Located in the historic Old Cloverdale Neighborhood, this one-stop-shop also features a bottle shop and a deli. For more information, visit www.filetandvine.com.
- Capitol Oyster Bar, featuring some of the freshest seafood around and an incredible view, Capitol Oyster Bar overlooks the Alabama River and is a local favorite. Oysters are the star of the show, but the menu is packed with Gulf seafood specialties. Their porch offers live music every Sunday. For more information, visit www.capitoloysterbar.com.
- Cahawba House, with locally sourced Southern classics featuring a modern twist, Cahawba House is a casual lunch or breakfast spot in Montgomery’s downtown. Offering a popular Sunday brunch, the daily biscuit bar in the morning is always a hit. For more information, visit www.cahawbahouse.com.
- Vintage Cafe, occupying the old Regions Bank building in historic Old Cloverdale, Vintage Café is a newcomer to Montgomery’s dining scene. With a sleek modern design, Stumptown coffee, and a wide selection of salads, sandwiches and baked goods, Vintage Café has fast become a favorite breakfast or lunch spot. For more information, visit www.vintagecafemgm.com.
- Prevail Union Coffee, located in the newly opened Kress Building in Downtown Montgomery, Prevail’s coffee has been rated as Best in Alabama by Food & Wine Magazine. Featuring creative drinks in a welcoming environment, Prevail is the perfect place to start your day. For more info, visit www.prevailunionmgm.com
For more information on Montgomery, visit www.visitingmontgomery.com.