As the nation becomes more Earth conscious, American travelers are searching for more eco-friendly vacation spots. The trend has been dubbed “ecotourism” and it’s all the rage with travel companies.
HotelResortInsider.com has compiled a list of the Top 10 Ecotourism Retreats so ecotourists everywhere know exactly where to go!
1. The Himalayas – Lodges in Northern India and Nepal keep guests cozy in a unique microclimate featuring both tropical and woodland forests.
2. The Galapagos Islands – A protected World Heritage site since 1978, the Galapagos Islands have some of the most unique and diverse species in the world.
3. Dominica – Home to the natural wonders of the jungle and a favorite shoreline of migrating whales, there’s plenty of rainforest-based lodging here.
4. Costa Rica – This country has an impressive amount of wildlife and preserved habitats, but it also has plenty of opportunities for travelers to interact with them.
5. Botswana – The travel destinations in this region of Africa are surrounded by unspoiled Savannah where the wildest of animals roam free.
6. Borneo – Off the coast of Malaysia, this island features some of the best hiking trails and the Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre.
7. The Blue Mountains – Bushwalking or rock climbing in this region of Australia will reveal a diverse range of unique fauna among valleys and swamps.
8. The South Pole – When summer hits the South Pole, ecotourists can travel down to explore the land of glaciers and its inhabitants, such as penguins and whales.
9. The Amazon – Perhaps the most coveted land on the Earth, lodgings in the Amazon Belt offer the opportunity to become one with the rainforest.
10. Alaska – America’s northernmost state is a sanctuary for many endangered species and praised for its snowy beauty.